Best Things to Do in Colorado: The Week Edition


Back in January/February I took a trip to see my aunt in Breckenridge, Colo. for some much-needed R&R.

While we're at the end of skiing season (and I'd totally recommend skiing if you go during the winter) here are some must-try spots from Breck to Vail to Glenwood Springs:

Breckenridge/Frisco

Breckenridge Distillery Tasting Room
We missed the distillery tour, but the tasting room is located in downtown Breckenridge, and it's a must-visit. By the end of any Friday you'll be surrounded by friendly (and drunk) locals and tourists just getting off the slopes and looking to warm up with some scotch, whisky, rum, vodka... pick your poison. It's all made in the main distillery right down the road and the bartenders are extraordinarily helpful and friendly!

The Canteen
One of the many comfort food spots in Breck, this one is set in a Western-meets-log-cabin style structure... and the food is to die for. I'd recommend the pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw!

Breckenridge Cheese and Chocolate
Fantastic if you're looking for some great wine and light bites, they have live music going on upstairs courtesy of an extremely friendly guitarist that granted my ultra-touristy request to play John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High". No... I'm not even a little sorry I requested that.

Vintage Sweet and Chic
Not just a great place to score vintage, they have some modern bohemian pieces AND housewares. I would have bought the whole store if I could have... it was a fashion blogger's dream!

Crown Cafe
Quite possibly THE best chai I've had outside of an Indian restaurant I'd frequent with my father in Harvard Square (which has since closed). It was the first time in a long time anyone looked at me and said, "Do you want your chai sweet or spicy?"

That's how I knew it was legit. You'll want to try their pastries too, by the way.

Park & Main
My aunt recommended the grilled cheese and tomato soup... and it didn't disappoint! However, from the number of people that have raved about this place I'm inclined to think that absolutely anything on the menu would be fantastic. This is a must-try if you're in Breckenridge!

The Next Page
A bookstore and sweet little café combine to make this a cozy spot for locals and visitors that are a little more bookish (like my aunt and myself) to warm their bodies and hang out on a lazy day. They also bring in local musicians regularly, so be prepared to struggle to find a place to sit if you visit during a musical performance.

Rivers Clothing Company
Clothing heaven for the outdoor enthusiast. That's how I'd describe this place. I found an amazing pair of Colorado-worthy boots that I almost bought, but convinced myself I'd save the purchase for a later date (when my bank account wasn't being reserved to move in to my own place). They also sell swimwear, skiwear, hiking gear and plenty of Free People (hey, even mountaineers are allowed to be basic).

Vail

The Golden Bear
A little local secret that this blogger can get behind? This jewelry shop started creating iconic golden bear designs that became a symbol for the people of Colorado that you either are a local, or are close to a local. The next time you spot a little golden bear... you'll know their heart is in Colorado.

Alpenrose
This German restaurant is like something out of a fairytale... though, to be fair, that's basically what all of downtown Vail looks like. Oh, and their pastries? Absolutely mind-blowing. Next time I'm going for a beer and pretzel.

Vail Boot and Shoe

Axel's Style for Men and Women
Looking for luxury-shopping? Look no further than Axel's. His leather jacket collection would have been mine if they didn't run somewhere above $1k for each piece. If you've got some serious cash burning a hole in your pocket, make a beeline for this spot.

I'll be back for that leather jacket.

Glenwood Springs

Iron Mountain Hot Springs
We popped over for a quick trip to Glenwood Springs, and as soon as you step into Iron Mountain you feel like you're in a spa. The dressing rooms include a swimsuit spinner so you can leave with a dry suit, and each spring looks more like a hot tub. They have a map of the springs and each temperature level, so you can choose the one that's most comfortable to you. Don't be freaked if you see things floating in the spring, that's the minerals! You'll also get stunning views of the surrounding Rockies and the Colorado river. The photo in this post was taken at Iron Mountain, so you can get a little bit of an idea what it looks like.

Smoke Modern BBQ
Anywhere I go needs to feature a rad mac n' cheese spot, and Smoke didn't disappoint. With a wide array of macs to choose from, we had trouble deciding. We finally settled on the Burnt Ends which featured brisket bites, scallions and KC Royale and cheddar. Can someone please open one of these places in Miami? I need my fix.

---

I hope you enjoyed this round up! Let me know if you've tried any of my choices, or if you plan on visiting Colorado soon. If there's anything I didn't feature here, I'd love to hear your recommendations in the comments below!

Comments

Popular Posts