Fringe Benefits








Originally this post was just going to be about my outfit, and these amazing rose gold sneakers from Addict. Let's face it, rose gold is in and I'm loving it. I'll take any excuse to wear it.

Then I got fat shamed.

I know what you're thinking, "Amanda, you're not fat. How the heck did you get fat shamed?"

The answer to that is that some eighty-something that can't see two inches in front of their face decided to comment on my body. Yes, I'm sure senility was a factor, and yes I'm confident about my body 90% of the time... but that's not really the point. It wouldn't matter what size I am, fat shaming in any form isn't acceptable. 

When the words, "You look like you've gained some weight. You better be careful or you'll be 200 lbs. in no time," left their mouth, the rage bubbled up. I kept my composure in that moment, told them they were wrong and politely excused myself from the situation, but as soon as I was away from them there were tears.

That's because there was a time when I hated my body, there was a time when I was overweight, there was a time when how I looked was being picked apart by people I actually love and care about. All of those feelings came back up... and the fact that this person did that to me not only makes me a little embarrassed, but it also makes me furious (for a variety of reasons):

1. Why does it matter to you what I look like?
2. It's not my job to be a weight that's acceptable in your eyes.
3. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all. Especially if you don't know me.
4. It doesn't matter what size I am, so long as I think I'm beautiful.
5. If you think I'm getting fat then you have some pretty insane standards for beauty.

Ladies (and gentlemen), you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself. As long as I'm still shopping for a size 2 then I know I haven't lost control of my weight. Oh, and by the way, my size isn't necessarily the size you should be. So hold yourself to your own standards of healthy and happy. I know lots of gorgeous women that are larger than a size 8... 10... 12! 

The moral of the story. You do you, boo... in a rose gold shoe. Don't let the haters get you down (and if you do, pick yourself right back up and keep on loving yourself).


Comments

Popular Posts